Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Influence of ECWZ Project!!!

The 19-year-old boy is back to school after a couple of years. He is studying at 7 classes while the average of 7-class student is 13, this has been a great surprise for everyone. But for us this is the best achievement of the project. The boy left school quite 5 years before and went to India for work. Now he realized how important is education and is back to village to join school again. I am sure this boy will be an example for everyone and it will surely discourage the kids from running from home and from leaving school voluntarily. Before 3 month, I was traveling back to Kathmandu from village and I met one of my villagers with his son. I asked if the son’s school was closed then he replied that son left school without any pressure and reason. The 14-year young boy was studying at class 7, and he was accompanied to his father for work at city when he had vacation at school. But later the boy preferred to earn money rather than wasting his time at school and in village. The parents are strongly aware about the importance of education but the boy has no interest at study. This is what I say the TREND. In his village (northern part of my village), most of his relatives work in city( the labor work, none is educationally qualified) and earn a little bit. His senior relative brothers are at work in the countryside in different region, so he is persuaded for that trend. His seniors used to leave school generally after 5 class and he tried to do same. His perception is that education is to earn money and if we can earn money without study, why to go to school?This boy is example for such children in village. It’s very hard to change the strong perception of the children. I can feel proud to say that I am the member of ECWZ. I can realize that we are making a difference. Westerners and the local people like this big boy really can make a difference in the life of village people. That’s why now I am concentrating how we can mobilize western volunteers and local roll models to establish the new educational based trend.Potential porters of past are at school at present!!

No comments: